The best dry dog food for Yorkies: Yorkies are well known and appreciated dogs, the star breed of the canine world, and that many people would like to have. Before adopting a Yorkie as a pet, we recommend that you read the advice on care and feeding for Yorkshire that you will find in this article.
Yorkshire dogs, puppies, and adults are usually very demanding dogs when it comes to eating, they tire easily with their feed, and they don’t always like the texture of the food that we put in the feeder. We must not fall into the mistake of feeding them homemade food, since it does not constitute a balanced diet and usually causes many health problems, especially in the delicate teeth of Yorkshire. If your “Yorkie” has stopped eating his usual food, here are some suggestions on the Best Dry Dog Food for Yorkies.
The 6 Best Dry Dog Food for Yorkies
Like any other animal or breed of dog, Yorkies require some specific care and attention, such as feeding. In this article we want you to know more about this subject, which is both important and delicate since it is necessary to know which are the most suitable foods or what type of food to choose for a healthy and varied diet. But let us start at the beginning. So what do Yorkies eat? Read on to find out!
|1. Royal Canin Yorkies Junior||★ 4.2|
|2. Advance Yorkies Junior||★ 4.5|
|3. Breeders Breeds Yorkies||★ 4.1|
|4. Royal Canin||★ 4.2|
|5. Eukanuba Special Yorkies||★ 4.3|
|6. Breeders Adult Lamb and Rice Special for Mini Breeds||★ 4.1|
What do Do Yorkies Eat?
The Yorkies’ diet must consist of at least two meals a day, which can be a more or less light breakfast and a full and hearty dinner.
Due to the carnivorous nature of dogs, the diet should focus mainly on the intake of meat. The digestive system of the Yorkies is correctly developed to allow the taking of abundant and abundant meals that are absorbed during a slow process.
This allows that between one intake and another can spend a considerable time without starving. What do Yorkies eat if we talk about specific foods?
Regarding meat, Yorkies can feed on waste from butchery, cartilage, or shell. Products made from beef, pork, or poultry are suitable. Another source of protein is fish (especially if they are lean and salty), eggs, or milk.
However, Yorkies can also feed on products of non-animal origin, as long as their diet is varied and includes proteins, carbohydrates, fats, minerals, and vitamins.
Other Foods Allowed for the Yorkies
Rice, pasta, hard bread, or cereals allow our Yorkies to get extra energy, especially for cold winter days or after long days of activity.
Although they are not usually common (nor compulsory intake) in Yorkies, fruits and vegetables are recommended on specific occasions as a contribution of fiber, minerals, and vitamins.
Needless to say, they must have fresh water at all times, especially on very hot days, hot climates, or if the room in which the dog is located is exposed to high temperatures.
Any modification in the diet of our dog can be a disorder for him. For this reason, it tries to make changes only in essential situations and gradually to facilitate adaptation to new foods.
How to Choose Feed for the Yorkies?
The advantages of the feed Yorkies are being treated product designed specifically for this breed of dog and have all the nutrients necessary for their development and daily activity.
These feeds are the result of complex scientific research that seeks to offer our Yorkies a healthy diet that is delicious and nutritious.
When choosing a feed for our Yorkies, we must take into account some things. Take note!
- Check the container label for basic information on the composition of the feed.
- Make sure that we offer a complete feed to our Yorkies, which meets all the nutrient needs of our pet. In this sense, it should be clarified that there are simple feeds (indicated as a supplement) or supplementary feeds, which are rich in specific nutrients and vitamins, as appropriate (indicated for special diets or diseases).
- Regarding the degree of humidity, it is also possible to differentiate between dry feed (with humidity lower than or equal to 14%) and semi-wett feed (with a humidity between 14 and 34%, usually sold frozen or canned). In the first case, they can be kept without a problem for a long time, are more affordable, and are usually the most used. The latter, on the other hand, stand out for their appetizing flavor and usually have a higher price.
- The quality of the feed will always depend on the raw materials, the formulation, the technology used, the presentation, and the type of preservation.
- Finally, the label must correctly indicate the components used, the chemical analysis, the type of supplement used, the instructions for use, and the expiration date.
- Unlike homemade food, dogs that are fed dry feed will need to drink more water, as the main manufacturers often indicate.
What is the Best Dry Dog Food for Yorkies?
To ensure 100% that the Yorkies’ diet is optimal and healthy, check that you provide a complete feed with enough protein and energy, in addition to the appropriate vitamins and minerals.
To make it even easier, we have selected for you the best feed for Yorkies (specific formulas for this breed) at a special price:
Let’s learn a little more about Yorkies Dogs
The Yorkies are small dogs but full of energy! The Yorkshire is a friendly, intelligent dog, faithful to his master, and very protective of his family. Therefore, they are usually very barking dogs, especially in front of strangers. They are perfect for living in small flats, but, like all dogs, they must perform daily exercise according to their need to stay healthy. They are dogs that need to receive a correct education and a series of special care, particularly in their long and silky hair. There are also a number of common illnesses in Yorkies dogs.
- Their digestive system is usually very delicate: vomiting and diarrhea can appear, often due to poor diet. Oral conditions and periodontal diseases are also frequent from an early age, such as the accumulation of tartar accompanied by gingivitis, which can lead to the loss of teeth.
- Its bones are fragile: so fractures and diseases of the musculoskeletal system such as knee dislocation disease are frequent. They are also prone to problems in the spine, such as herniated discs.
- They are very long-lived dogs: so, commonly, eye problems appear when they reach an advanced age, such as cataracts or progressive retinal atrophy.
These diseases will not be a great concern if you meet the needs of your dog, providing adequate food, and timely veterinary care.
Yorkshire is a dog that needs a lot of attention from their owner because they are usually very close to them. A well-groomed Yorkshire will be in excellent health and will be a tremendously happy dog who will spread his joy to all members of the family.
Feeding: What Do I Think I Give My Yorkies Puppy?
Yorkshire puppies need proper nutrition to help them grow healthy, strong, and full of energy. In the market, there are specific feed brands to feed your “Yorkie” puppy without missing any nutrients.
1. Royal Canin Yorkies Junior
- It helps meet the growing needs of your puppy. Yorkshire has a short but fast growth. Therefore they need adequate content of fats, proteins, and an excellent calcium-phosphorous ratio.
- The ingredients are easily assimilated to facilitate the digestive process and reduce the volume of stool.
- The croquettes are adapted to the size of the mouth, are very tasty for a better acceptance of the food, and prevent the accumulation of tartar.
- It stimulates the immune system, thus strengthening the puppy’s natural defenses, preventing diseases.
2. Advance Yorkies Junior
- This Yorkshire puppy food contains selected ingredients that are easy to digest to prevent heavy digestions. Also, it is very appetizing for the most demanding puppies.
- This feed activates the puppy’s natural defenses thanks to nucleotides with a structure similar to maternal colostrum and active immunoglobulins, preventing the appearance of diseases.
- This food contains zinc and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for healthy skin and shiny, smooth hair.
My Puppy is Already an Adult Dog. What Do I Think I Give Him Now?
Yorkies dogs are considered adults at the age of 10 months. From this moment on, they should receive nutritionally complete and easily digestible food from taking care of both their gastrointestinal health and their skin. The demanding palate of ” Yorkies” is well known, so giving them food that is tasty is crucial for them.
3. Breeders Breeds Yorkies
We have created a new line of feed for breeds thanks to our star brand: Breeders. These are feeds formulated by veterinarians that offer each breed just what they need for optimal health. They are made with selected natural ingredients and a high content of fresh meat, which gives it an intense natural flavor and increases its palatability.
Key Benefits of Feed for Yorkshire Breeders
- High digestibility: to take care of the delicate stomach of the breed, prevent food from feeling bad and prevent vomiting and diarrhea, the feed incorporates prebiotics that improves transit, and promote good digestion.
- Dental care: Like Yorkies, like other small breed dogs, they do not chew food well, kibbles have a special formula, texture, and shape that helps reduce tartar buildup. Also, they add mint to improve breath.
- Hair and skin health: Yorkshire has a coat that we must take care of daily so that its hair stays clean and shiny. To ensure that your little one’s skin and coat are healthy, the feed adds borage oil, a natural source of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, and biotin.
- Optimal aging: this breed is characterized by its longevity, which is why our formula contributes to slowing down cellular aging thanks to ingredients such as calendula, which has antioxidant properties.
4. Royal Canin Yorkies Adult
- The croquettes have an intense and very pleasant aroma to whet your appetite.
- This feed is enriched with borage and fish oil, rich in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, to care for its extraordinary coat.
- Yorkshire is a dog with a long life expectancy, so this feed contains essential nutrients called polyphenols derived from green tea and grapes, as well as antioxidants that fight cell aging. It also has low levels of phosphorus and sodium, which helps prevent kidney and heart problems.
5. Eukanuba Special Yorkies
- This food is made up of selected ingredients for easy digestion, as well as containing natural sources of fiber, such as beet pulp, which helps the growth of bacteria beneficial to the intestine.
- The croquettes have a special shape that stimulates chewing to promote the removal of tartar, taking care of the teeth and gums.
- To make your “Yorkies” look spectacular, it contains copper, zinc, and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids that nourish your skin and hair.
6. Breeders Adult Lamb and Rice Special for Mini Breeds
- Lamb meat turns this feed into a portion of very tasty and appetizing food. Also, it is very well tolerated by sensitive or allergic dogs, since it contains an easily digestible protein.
- The kibble size is small and specially adapted to the small Yorkshire jaws, preventing tartar buildup.
- It also cares for the skin and hair thanks to its content in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
If your dog is very delicate when it comes to eating, we recommend that, to prevent food rejection, make changes in the flavors of the feed every 4 or 6 months (change from chicken to fish, from fish to lamb). You can also mix your feed with a little wet food or a drizzle of salmon oil. Surely your Yorkshire will not be able to resist its food! And don’t forget that the best food for your Yorkie can be found at Tiendanimal.
Homemade Meal Ideas for the Yorkies
Luckily, there are a majority of Yorkies that eat almost everything. If you choose to cook or prepare meals for your Yorkies, keep in mind that you must use a wide variety of products and ingredients that allow you to offer your pet a balanced diet.
Taking into account, as we have already mentioned before, that Yorkies are carnivorous dogs, the food that we prepare for them, in the case of adults, must be made up of meat as the main ingredient. Thus, chicken, rabbit, beef, or turkey are usually the main options for this.
To avoid any type of infection or abnormality, it is most advisable to present our dog with previously cooked food; cooking is one of the most widely used methods. Remember that, also, at the time of taking them, the food must not be too cold or too hot.
Other issues to consider are the bones of the meat. If they have them, they must be eliminated if they are whole, since they can pose serious dangers during the intake. The same applies to the skin of the birds, which must be removed due to the high concentration of fat that accumulates in them.
Foods That Provide Energy
Do you know what other foods the Yorkies eat? To complete the diet, we can offer our Yorkie some type of food that provides an additional dose of energy, such as rice. In this case, it is better that the rice is well cooked (rather old) so that it is much easier to digest.
In a tiny proportion, we must complete the feeding of the animal with vegetables. Although many Yorkies do not like this type of food at all, it is beneficial that they occasionally take a serving of tomato, zucchini, or carrot.
In any case, if we want our Yorkies not always to be bored with the same foods and flavors, sporadically, we can offer other foods such as eggs (as long as the white is not raw), fruits, fish that do not contain bones or honey.
From yorsay.es, we recommend that in the case of offering homemade food to your Yorkies, consult with your trusted veterinarian about the specific needs of your pet. It is very likely that, in addition to the foods that we discussed, you should add a vitamin supplement to meet all their needs.
In the case of Yorkies, it is also advisable to supply them with brewer’s yeast supplements to keep their hair strong and shiny.
Finally, remember to remove any leftovers from your Yorkies’ feeder once it’s finished.
Other Recommendations on Feeding Your Yorkies
If you watch Yorkies eating from their feeder, try not to disturb them. Otherwise, you could interrupt this moment. Tranquility is just as important during, as after a meal. Avoiding frenetic rhythms of activity after food will promote proper digestion in our pet.
On the other hand, if you have a trip planned, try to keep your Yorkies on an empty stomach. In this way, you will save yourself from possible vomiting or dizziness in transit.
Regarding the necessary nutrients, you should know that during the first 12 months of the dog, the diet must be especially rich in protein to promote the proper development of its body. However, dogs that are in the old stage should take less meat, more rice and vegetables, little oil, and no salt.
Finally, it is very important that you bear in mind that, in case of illness, we should consult the veterinarian about what type of food we have to supply since there are solutions adapted for each type of pathology.