Know the best home remedy for fleas on dogs: The dog is the human’s best friend, and the human takes care of him in every way. He feeds him, cleanses him, bathes him, and takes care of him. In return, the dog offers company, fidelity, and affection.
Dog hygiene is very important and not only to avoid bad odors at home but also to keep your furry friend free of external parasites, such as fleas and ticks, as well as clean and fresh.
Know the Best Home Remedy for Fleas on Dogs
However, sometimes he seems not to enjoy much of the bathroom and be tedious for humans.
For all the above, in The Pets Aid, we share a list of best home remedy for fleas on dogs. So you can get rid of this annoying pest completely naturally and economically. Also, it should be noted that all flea remedies apply to people, the fact that guarantees that they are not harmful to dogs and allows all members affected by the bite of these parasites to be treated. Keep reading!
How to Eliminate Fleas in Dogs Naturally?
Fleas are part of the most common external parasites in dogs. They are small in size and feed on the animal’s blood for weeks. They are easily identifiable because they appear as tiny black dots that move through the dog’s skin.
Likewise, it is possible to observe their feces, which are often confused with black dandruff. To confirm its presence, it is best to use a lice comb and observe the remains collected.
Other Symptoms of Fleas Are:
- Itching and excessive scratching
- Skin wounds due to scratching
- Redness of the skin
- Dermatitis in case of flea bite allergy
Once identified, it is necessary to remove the fleas of the dog by suitable antiparasitic products, such as pipettes, collars, aerosols, or tablets.
However, sometimes it is not possible to go to the veterinary clinic immediately or, simply, it is preferable to opt for the best home remedy for fleas on dogs. Therefore, in the following sections, we will discover the most effective.
On the other hand, it is important to highlight that fleas must not only be removed from the animal but also to be fought at home. This is because fleas have the ability to live in the environment, without a host, for up to 6 months. In this way, they can bite the dog or even people again. The popular areas of fleas are those that keep some moisture, such as carpets, slits, cracks, pillows.
Also, the larval stages of fleas live on the ground, and only adults are housed in animals.
Fleas hate citrus fruits, so we offer three flea remedies that you can prepare with them:
- Rub your dog’s fur with lemon, orange, or some other citrus fruit. It will keep fleas at bay.
- Boil a liter of water and add a few slices of lemon. Let cool overnight, and the next day spread the water throughout the dog’s body, avoiding the snout and eyes. You do not need to bathe it later, but you must be attentive to your dog’s reaction. If you notice any discomfort, immediately remove the remedy.
- For the home, sprinkle this same mixture made with lemon and water over the areas where fleas are housed, such as pillows, slits, and carpets.
Eliminating fleas with lemon and other citrus fruits is, without a doubt, a very effective home remedy. However, we must emphasize that the aroma that these fruits give off is not only unpleasant for these parasites; they are also part of the odors that dogs hate. For this reason, it is common to observe the restless and annoying animal, although not in all cases, it is a nuisance. If it is, we recommend choosing another remedy.
Remedies With Vinegar for Fleas
Vinegar is very popular for flea because the strong smell kills them and drives them away. For this, we can prepare a flea repellent with white vinegar or apple cider vinegar, although the first one usually offers better results. Next, the most effective remedies:
- Flea bath. You will need a cup of vinegar and a cup of dog shampoo. Mix both ingredients in a container and use the solution to bathe your dog. How? Very simple, moisten the coat, and then spread the mixture you have prepared. Leave it on for 15 and use a flea comb to remove them from the hair. Then, wash the dog very well to remove all the excess. Repeat the bathroom a couple of times a week.
- Repellent for fleas. Mix half a cup of water with half a cup of apple cider vinegar and place the preparation in a sprayer. Spray the mixture on your dog to keep fleas away and relieve itching. You can also add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar or white vinegar in the dog’s water container to drink it, as this drives away fleas and brightens the fur.
- Flea shampoo. You will need some shampoo, either for dogs or for babies, half a cup of water and half a cup of white or apple cider vinegar. Mix and use this shampoo as you usually do when you bathe your dog. Leave on for 5 minutes and then rinse thoroughly.
Flea Remedy in Dogs With Yeast
Brewer’s yeast is also an effective home flea. You can use it in two ways:
- As food. Add a pinch of yeast to your dog’s usual food; this will scare them off because it causes the dog to emit a smell that fleas detest. So it will automatically stop being a suitable host for these parasites. Also, brewer’s yeast is good for strengthening the animal’s mantle, regulating intestinal transit, and much more.
- As a flea repellent. You will only need a small cup of yeast to rub it on your dog’s fur until it reaches the skin. The vitamin B1 it contains will drive fleas away, so let it act for several days and remove it. Repeat the process once a week.
Homemade Flea Remedy: Flea Collar
You probably know that there is these collar on the market. However, many owners avoid using them due to the strong smell of insecticide, so we present a way to prepare your own homemade flea collar, completely natural.
- Get the essence of rosemary or lavender, water, and a handkerchief. Dilute the oil in water, moisten a handkerchief and place it on your dog’s neck like a collar. To reinforce the effect, mix a few drops of the essence with olive oil and apply it at the base of the dog’s tail.
- It gathers different essential oils: cedar, lavender, thyme, citronella, geranium, and basil. Add one or two drops of each to a handkerchief and put it on the dog’s neck.
Both necklaces should be renewed every week when the smell disappears. Without a doubt, this is a very effective and much less bothersome home remedy for fleas than commercial collars. You can leave it on even during the rides; this way, you will prevent new insects from staying in it.
Flea Remedy in Puppies With Chamomile
Chamomile stands out for its powerful antiseptic, soothing, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and healing properties. Therefore, it is a remedy to eliminate highly effective fleas, both in adult dogs and in puppies! In general, commercial antiparasitic products are not usually suitable for puppies due to their components. For this reason, in children, it becomes even more important to know some natural treatments like this. It should be noted that vinegar-based remedies are also suitable for puppies.
To use this best home remedy for fleas on dogs, prepare an infusion of chamomile, let it warm and bathe the dog with it, doing gentle massages to distribute throughout the body. Let it act for 15-20 minutes and remove it with water. You can repeat this process every day, ensuring that it does not penetrate the ears and mouth.
How to Eliminate Fleas at Home?
The war against fleas should not only occur in the fur of the animal, but it is also important to protect the home to prevent the dog from being affected again since fleas nest easily in slits, corners, beds, and carpets and live for months. Therefore, we present several options:
This European medicinal plant works as a natural insecticide. Plant a few shoots in the garden to keep fleas away and place small bags filled with wormwood in different parts of the house.
Spread salt on the carpets of your house. It will kill fleas by drying the environment they need to grow. Leave the salt for several days and then vacuum the area. Repeat the process for several weeks.
The Cedar Chips
Place shavings inside the dog’s bed, under furniture, and in the corners. You can spread it directly or place it inside muslin bags. The smell drives fleas away. If you notice any negative reaction in your dog, withdraw immediately, as it could be allergic.
Rosemary and Lavender
Plant these herbs in your garden to ward off fleas and other insects.
If none of this works, do not wait: go to your veterinarian to prescribe a spray, pipette, or other flea treatment. This parasite is harmful to the health of your dog because it is a carrier of several diseases; for this reason, it is essential to combat it.
And the Ticks, How to Remove Them?
If, after inspecting your dog for fleas, you have noticed that it also has ticks, you should know that you can easily remove them with the help of tweezers. There are also home remedies to eliminate ticks in very effective dogs to fight both parasites.
Before a serious infestation of ticks or fleas, it will be essential to visit the veterinarian because no home remedy can fight it.